Live from camp: The real way to watch the news


Today started out with everyone going right to work on his or her stories. Gino Terrell, a fellow camper, wasn’t present for the second day in a row. Terrell is busy doing orientation at Hamline University. We continued working on our stories until it was time for the WCCO field trip at 10 a.m.

When 10 a.m. arrived, we headed towards the bus. Once we arrived at the bus, there stood the bus driver with a big grin on her face as if it were a sign of welcome. The bus ride was quiet and cool. On the bus, there were roughly 15 people. 9 of those passengers were at the back of the bus. Those 9 passengers were ThreeSixty Journalism students.

The bus stopped at the Minneapolis St. Thomas campus and from there we traveled inside to look at some of the art that had been painted there. After we looked at some of the paintings, we walked for about two blocks to the WCCO station. While we waited for the tour of WCCO, we began talking about the different news stations.

A woman with blond hair finally came out and greeted all of us with a big smile. She was roughly 5 ft. 6in. and seemed excited for the tour. After talking for about ten minutes, the tour began.

We entered the doors where the weatherman was working at his desk. Mike Augustyniak, the weatherman for WCCO, began to tell us about the operations of the weather station. He told us how the weather was predicted and what it was like using a green screen.

After that we toured the desk where the anchors of WCCO so the news at noon. The woman who lead the tour began to show where the reporters work and how they have a whiteboard that has the daily plan for the day when breaking news occurs.

We then headed to the desk where the evening anchors do the news at six. The room was large and had different set-ups for different occasions in reporting the news on air. There was a set-up for when the anchors have interviews and there was a set for the weather station too. The weatherman used a green screen, which was used to show a picture that is a visual for all of the audience watching WCCO at home.

Afterwards, we all headed back to where the WCCO noon anchors were about to go live. We watched from the sidelines as the news broadcasters set up. For thirty minutes we experienced the news live in front of us and on commercials the news anchors held conversations with all of us. It was as if they weren’t worried about the time.

After the thirty minutes had ended Natalie Kane and Jason DeRusha, both news anchors of WCCO, came over to continue the conversations that were going on during the commercials. Surprisingly, Mike O’Donnell, our teacher for camp had also taught Kane journalism in college. The two were excited to see each other and we began to speak about her career in the past. After that we spoke about DeRusha and his career before becoming a news anchor for WCCO.

After the tour of WCCO was complete and we headed back to the bus stop at the Minneapolis campus. We waited for twenty minutes before the bus arrived and when it did, we talked about how cool the trip to WCCO was for us.

When we arrived at the St. Paul campus it was lunchtime. Jennah, Callie, Darwesh, Seamus, Sam, Kris, and I all enjoyed a nice tasty lunch.

Frederick McConnell, Introduction to Journalism ’12

Frederick McConnell